Yoga Classes Information
Yoga is considered by many to be the oldest existing system of self-care and self-development. Traditional yoga includes clearly defined teachings and practices which address every aspect of ourselves including the body, mind, thoughts, emotions, energy, lifestyle and even soul. Our classes reflect the traditional approach and interweave modern knowledge and objectives.
Hatha Yoga - Integral. An holistic system of 4 types of practices (asana, pranayama, meditation and relaxation) which when integrated bring balance and harmony to our intellect, heart, body, mind and soul. Lineage: Sivananda/Venkatesananda
Hatha Yoga - Beginners. Carefully designed sequences and practices to ensure safety, steadiness and comfort with an emphasis on stretching, breathwork, mindfulness and relaxation to enhance health and wellbeing. Lineage: Sivananda + Krishnamacharya/AG & Indra Mohan
Hatha Yoga - Flow. Hatha Yoga with a Vinyasa influence - fluid movements, a meditative focus and integration of breathwork. Lineage: Krishnamacharya/Pattabhi Jois & Vedanta More information
Hatha Yoga - Gentle. A fusion of Yin Yoga with Gentle Hridaya Hatha -Yoga and meditation. Finding the balance between effort and relaxation, poses are practiced with a meditative approach as we gently bring awareness to the effect of each pose. Suitable for beginners and experienced practitioners. Lineage: Hridaya Yoga/ Self enquiry by Ramana Maharshi
Hridaya Hatha Yoga is the path of the Spiritual Heart, an invitation to live with an open heart, discovering the infinite potential of the path of the Heart. Hridaya brings together meditation and hatha yoga, giving you the tools to create a life of openness, stillness, surrender and joy. Ha-tha means to find balance between effort and relaxation so these classes approach yoga asana (postures) with a meditative approach as we gently bring awareness to the effects of each pose and energy moving throughout our entire being.
Yin Yoga. A slow paced, relaxing and therapeutic class featuring long passive holds of poses. Integrates mindfulness meditation for a refreshing, restorative experience. Founder: Paulie Zink (Taoist Yoga)
Hatha Yoga - Iyengar. Emphasis on detail, precision and alignment in the performance of posture (asana) and breath control (pranayama). The development of strength, mobility and stability gained through the asanas. Lineage: Krishnamacharya/Iyengar
Pregnancy Yoga An informative and empowering class to prepare women physically, mentally and emotionally for birth and beyond with active yoga asanas which stretch and strengthen, as well as restorative poses, pelvic floor exercises, breath awareness, vocal toning, visualisation and meditation. Suitable even if you have no experience, and pre-pregnancy.
Read more and book online
Postnatal/Family Yoga for Mums and Bubs to follow on from Pregnancy Yoga. Partners and family support welcome. A fun and playful class that encourages bonding with your baby. Yoga asanas which strengthen and tone the body in the postnatal period incorporating breathing, relaxation and mindfulness to nurture and quieten the mind.
Read more and book online
Kids Yoga (not currently running) Fun, engaging classes introducing kids to the practices and concepts of yoga using yoga poses, breathing, meditation techniques, mindfulness, games and craft. Suitable for primary school aged kids.
Mano Yoga (Meditation). A deeply healing meditation practice incorporating pranayama, chanting and extended relaxation. Founder: Somanatha Maharshi
Level 1 Absolute Beginners
Learn the foundation practices of yoga. A gentle class, Vinayasa style, no long holds. Detailed instruction, background information, modifications.
Level 2 Beginners/General
Continuing classes which can accommodate all levels of ability. Modifications are given for p
Level 3 General/Intermediate
Suitable for those who have some experience with practices and concepts of yoga. Includes some more advanced poses.
what to expect
facts and questions
Why choose Kookaburra Yoga?
- Established, reputable business. Kookaburra Beginners Yoga Courses were developed and are taught by centre director Mandy BeckerKnox. Kookaburra Creek Yoga Centre is well established having been operating for twenty years.
- Quality content. Kookaburra Yoga's 5 Week Courses draw upon the knowledge and wisdom Centre Director, Mandy BeckerKnox, has gained through her personal study and practice of yoga and training she has undertaken in the fields of traditional yoga, Ayurveda, tantra, yin yoga. Course content is a balance of traditional yoga with modern perspectives from contemporary, relevant and increasingly research and evidence-based sources.
- Experienced teachers. Mandy and Robert are both exceptional yoga and meditation instructors with decades of continuing education, self-enquiry and practical teaching experience. They have literally taught thousands of people yoga and to meditate and how to effectively apply the knowledge gained to enhance and transform lives.
- Safety and wellbeing. Kookaburra Yoga's 5 Week Courses are designed for the absolute beginner - the practices are taught sequentially with an emphasis on learning to practice safely in accordance with your body's needs and limitations.
- Value for money. We believe Yoga should be affordable and accessible for all. Kookaburra Yoga's classes and courses are $12 per session which is well below the industry standard price in Western Australia.
- Socially and environmentally responsible. We care for people and the planet. Kookaburra Creek is an eco-conscious venue drawing on its own and natural resources including solar power, rain and spring water and our own organic food gardens.
- Personal development. Kookaburra Yoga provides a wonderful opportunity for personal and professional development. You'll be gently guided to explore limitations and obstacles to achieving your potential and become equipped with the tools, techniques and practical wisdom to evolve and grow.
Do I need experience in Yoga?
- No, we welcome anyone who is interested in learning and practicing yoga and meditation.
- Please choose a 'level' in accordance with your experience and ability.
- The yoga and meditation practices are carefully explained and taught in a caring and respectful manner.
- All of the practices taught can be adapted to suit the needs of each participant.
- If you have any injuries, are pregnant or have medical conditions or concerns please be in touch prior to attending as these may preclude you from attending.
Where is Kookaburra Creek?
- Kookaburra Creek Yoga Centre is located at 210 Carradine Road, Bedfordale WA 6112.
- This is approximately 40 minutes drive from both Perth and Fremantle and only a few minutes drive from the Armadale town centre.
- Kookaburra Creek is not accessible by public transport. The nearest train station is Armadale. This is a 40 minute walk.
- See map below.
What if I Need to cancel or miss a class?
- Classes at Kookaburra Creek are offered on a casual basis, meaning that you do not to book, commit to attending every week and can pay as you come.
WHAT ARE THE PAYMENT OPTIONS?
- Classes cost $12 each and payable in cash on arrival - we don't have eftpos facilities at the centre.
- You can buy class passes online or at the centre. $60 for 5 passes or $120 for 10 passes.
- If you are experiencing financial difficulty please be in touch with us directly as we can offer free places to those in need.
WHAT If I have an injury or am pregnant?
- If you have an injury or health conditions which may be affected by yoga, please be sure to inform your teacher in advance of the class.
- If you have an acute injury, yoga may not be suitable so please be in touch with use before attending the centre.
- If you are pregnant, please be in touch with us before attending the centre as we generally don't accept new students who are pregnant if they have no prior experience of yoga in our general classes.
- Please enquire about pre-natal classes.
What should I wear and bring?
- No need to bring a mat or equipment. We provide all the equipment you will need, including yoga mats, blankets, bolsters and cushions. Chairs available if needed.
- We don't wear shoes during yoga so please leave shoes outside and also please to endeavour to have clean feet.
- We'll be moving, stretching, sitting and lying down so wear comfortable clothes.
- Bring your own non-breakable drinking water bottle.
- Please don't interrupt other students. If you bring your mobile have it on silent mode.
What equipment is provided?
- Kookaburra Creek is fully equipped with yoga mats, bolsters, blankets, cushions and blocks.
- We are very happy for you to use our equipment.
- However if you would prefer to bring your own you are most welcome.