Yoga & Cleanse Weekend Retreat
4 seasonal retreats each year. Come and enjoy the peaceful paradise of Kookaburra Creek less than an hour from Perth for a weekend of Yoga, Meditation, Healing Foods and an inspiring program amongst the trees which will leave you feeling rejuvenated and cleansed.
Cost: $495 shared room, $395 non-residential.
Payment plans available upon request
why attend this retreat?
During a single day we take in millions of impressions through the senses - all of which imprint upon and become embedded in the our body, mind and soul. Their accumulation leads to sensory overload, stress and a reduced capacity to cope physically, mentally and emotionally. When stressed, we can become less mindful of what we eat, what we do, and where our thoughts lead us. We make reactionary and sometimes poor choices which often lead to more stress with a negative impact upon our mental and emotional wellbeing and physical health.
The focus of this weekend retreat is to consciously retreat from the sources of all those impressions and to literally empty ourselves through cleansing yoga, meditation and pranayama and also through a gentle, introductory 'soft' fast which includes teas, tonics, juices and then the introduction of nourishing, healing foods. We literally create space within our bodies which provides respite. We become naturally quiet and meditative without the burden of constant digestion, paving the way for deeper states of awareness.
Traditional Hatha Yoga is comprised of 5 distinct points which together comprise a balanced and holistic system of self-care and self-awareness. These include: proper exercise (yoga asana, walking in nature); proper breathing (pranayama); proper relaxation (yoga nidra); proper thinking (meditation); proper diet and lifestyle (sattvic/peaceful food, time in nature). On this retreat you'll be guided and supported to fully experience the 5 points of yoga and the yogic lifestyle. The Hatha Yoga sessions will be therapeutic in their focus - cleansing, healing and rebalancing.
When practiced with sincerity and integrated into everyday life and everyday thinking, Traditional Yoga perfectly and effortlessly brings balance and harmony to the 5 aspects of self: the body, breath, mind/emotions, wisdom and soul. We share the teachings of yoga 'philosophy' which relate to the cleansing practices offered on this retreat and increase our understanding of the 'self', the causes and sources of stress and tension, and the rationale behind the methods.
cleanse & build
On this retreat we take a 'soft' approach to fasting with the inclusion of Ayurvedic herbal teas, broths, tonics, juices and an abundance of filtered, pure spring water which rises from the ground upstream. We prepare for and break the fast with nourishing, easily digested foods such as soft fruits, kitchari (rice, mung bean, spices, vegetable dish), lassi (yoghurt, rose water, cardamom, salt, jaggery), halwa (sweet carrot dessert cooked in nut milk) and then reintroduce broader, nourishing and delicious foods.
In some cultures and traditions, fasting is a regular practice, but for many of us, fasting of any form is rare. Ekadashi (the 11th day after the full and new moon) is the given day for fasting on the Vedic Lunar calendar. When we restrain from our usual eating habits, the body is allowed to rest internally, with no energy being spent on digestion, you literally create an inner space, an emptiness from which subtle and profound yoga experiences are given the space to emerge. You may experiences depths in your practice which are not normally accessible to you. Physically your body feels lighter and refreshed. Given its brevity and the fact you will consume pure water, herbal teas, tonics, broths and juices, this fast should be suitable for most people.
lightness & joy
Our diet and lifestyles are comprised of highly addictive foods and behaviours, so refraining from usual eating can be challenging, but is ultimately empowering and transformational! With the support of your retreat facilitators; a grounding in yoga and meditation practices; and the knowledge you gain through your experiences and the information imparted; you'll leave this retreat profoundly lighter, freer and revitalised.
We invite you to experience the depths possible in yoga during fasting. This is truly a powerful combination which can help transform your relationship with food; help overcome deep-seated fears which may influence your thinking and choices (you won't starve!), increase your willpower, resolve, mental focus and clarity of thought; understand and reduce anxiety, tension and stress, and deepen your appreciation of life and sense of purpose.
It's not just what you eat...
"Before you eat, four conditions should exist in the environment. If these conditions are not met, then it is better to remain hungry. First of all, you should be surrounded by a calm and quiet atmosphere. Secondly, you should be under no mental or physical pressure. Thirdly, the food you are about to eat must be properly cooked with all the ingredients. Lastly, there should be enough time in which to eat gracefully." Yogi Bhajan
3pm Arrive from 3pm
4pm Hatha Yoga
5.30pm Agni Hotra & Opening Circle
7.30pm Candlelight Meditation & Yoga Nidra
9.30pm Mouna (silence) & Rest
6.00am Rise & Hot Water w Lemon
6.30am Mano Yoga Meditation
8.00am Hatha Yoga
9.30am Chanting & Meditation
10.00am Breakfast: Konji, Kitchari & Fruit
11.00am Bush Walk & Meditation
12.30pm Lunch: Juice
1.00pm Rest/Silent Reflection
2.30pm Satsang/Sharing Circle
3.30pm Yogi's Kitchen Ayurveda/Food Workshop
4.00pm Afternoon Drink: Konji
4.30pm Yin Yoga
5.30pm Agni Hotra & Meditation
6.30pm Dinner: Light Kitchari Broth
7.30pm Sound Healing Journey
9.30pm Mouna & Rest
6.30am Rise & Hot Water w Lemon
7.00am Mano Yoga Meditation
8.00am Hatha Yoga
10.00am Breakfast: Kitchari
10.30am Yogi's Kitchen Food Workshop
11.30am Silent Reflection & Forest Meditation
12.30pm Satsang/Sharing Circle
1.15pm Closing Circle
The healing and rejuvenative power of being amongst the trees
About the venue & program
We establish a rhythm and routine which bring immediate calmness to the body, mind and soul. The schedule for your days and evenings is taken care of, allowing you to relax deeply, immersing yourself in the program and the retreat process. You'll fall asleep to the sounds of the forest.
Agni Hotra is a purifying vedic fire ceremony performed exactly at sunset and sunrise. The ceremony is purfying and cleansing to both the environment and to participants. The Havan is a longer ceremony which uses vedic mantras, specific and prayer - and is powerfully protective and transformative.
We have several onsite accommodation options which include shared rooms in the newly refurbished retreat centre which can accommodate 12 guests in single beds. There is a renovated railway carriage which sleeps two guests in a king size bed. There are two private enclosed gazebos which sleep 1-2 people.
Powerful, healing places
We take extended walks to nearby places in the Wungong and Churchman's Brook reserves. These are places of spiritual significance and natural beauty, and spend time meditating on the scarp, by the river's edge and upon granite boulders. This country is imbued with a powerful life force which is nourishing and healing
Two workshops which introduce you to Ayurvedic . You'll determine your unique constitution and how to balance food and culinary herbs to restore internal balance. this provides a foundation for healthy eating (food which is healthy and healing for one person is possibly harmful for another!)
On retreat we leave behind concerns and distractions to deeply and profoundly realise the spiritual and material benefits of yoga, returning to our lives with renewed energy and focus. We deepen the gratitude in our hearts for both the joys and sorrows of our lives. Both are a gift of love leading us beyond duality to the graceful, limitless centre of ourselves.
About the facilitators
Mandy has decades of experience teaching the subtle, powerful and transformational methods of yoga. Her knowledge and insights have been inspired through devotion, consistent practice, higher education in yoga, Ayurveda, the arts, and integration of yogic values and concepts into everyday family and professional life. Mandy is a skilful Ayurvedic cook having learnt in the ashrams, homes and streets of India!
Inclusions & Cost
Facts & Questions
Why choose Kookaburra Yoga for your retreat?
- Established, reputable business. Kookaburra Creek Yoga Centre is directed by experienced teachers Robert Becker and Mandy BeckerKnox in Perth, Australia. Kookaburra Creek Yoga is well established having been operating for twenty years.
- Retreat management experience. Kookaburra Yoga have offered professionally organised and facilitated international retreats for over ten years. Each retreat is carefully planned to ensure the safety and comfort of participants.
- Health & Safety. Our venue is maintained to a high standard to support the health and wellbeing of participants. We take every precaution to ensure the hygiene and health of participants.
- Quality food. Food is an integral part of our retreats and menus and ingredients are planned and considered to ensure they are nourishing, health-promoting and conducive to yoga and meditation.
- High quality program. Directors Mandy and Robert facilitate all Kookaburra Yoga Retreats. They are both exceptional yoga and meditation instructors with decades of continuing education, self-enquiry and practical teaching experience. They have literally taught thousands of people yoga and to meditate and how to effectively apply the knowledge gained to enhance and transform lives.
- Professional leadership. Both Robert and Mandy have worked professionally in high-level leadership positions in government and the not-for-profit sector and are leaders and skilful group facilitators able to guide individuals and groups safely through peak experiences and the transformational change which often occurs on retreat.
- Value for money. Retreats are fully inclusive with everything included in the cost. There are no additional costs and there are no items or services offered for sale during the retreat.
- Socially responsible. We care for people and the planet. All our retreats cause as little harm as possible. We are an entirely vegetarian venue.
- Personal development. Kookaburra Retreats are a wonderful opportunity for personal and professional development. You'll be gently guided to explore limitations and obstacles to achieving your potential and become equipped with the tools, techniques and practical wisdom to evolve and grow. Kookaburra Retreats are transformational and potentially life-changing!
Do I need experience in Yoga to attend this retreat?
No, we welcome anyone who is interested in embarking upon a journey of self enquiry and discovery. The yoga and meditation practices on each retreat are carefully explained and taught in a caring and respectful manner. All of the practices taught can be adapted to suit the needs of each participant.
WHAT ARE THE VENUE DETAILS?
- Kookaburra Creek Yoga Centre is a purpose-built yoga centre in Bedfordale in the Perth hills with capacity and equipment for 40 students.
- The centre is set on 10 acres of bushland and is quiet and serene.
- The residential retreat facility is in separate buildings on the property including the primary residence (accommodation for 10 participants), a renovated railway carriage (accommodation for 2), and an enclosed, powered gazebo (accommodation for 2).
- The grounds and facilities are also suitable for those who may wish to camp in their own tent.
What if I Need to cancel?
- Your booking and deposit confirms your place, meaning other people cannot book it. Therefore the deposit is non-refundable.
- If you cancel 0-1 week before the retreat the full amount of the retreat is payable.
- If you cancel 1-2 weeks before the retreat 50% of your payment (minus deposit) will be refunded to you.
- If you cancel more than 4 weeks prior to the retreat your full payment (minus deposit) will be refunded to you.
- If we have a waitlist and can fill your place from this, all money paid (except for deposit) will be refunded to you regardless of when you cancel.
What if I am not in perfect condition or if I get sick?
- You should be fine to attend if you are in reasonable health. Please check with your own health care provider if you have any concerns or doubts.
- If you get sick during the retreat, an after hours locum doctor (bulk billed) or you can attend the Armadale Hospital Emergency Department (24 hours emergency) which is 5 minutes by car.
WHAT IS THE RETREAT SIZE?
- Total retreat capacity staying in accommodation - 14 people
what are the payment options?
Full payment or deposit (50%) on booking confirms your place
- online payments only: credit card, paypal or direct deposit
- full payment must be received by 30 days prior to retreat
- 50% deposit is non-refundable if you cancel less than 30 days prior to retreat
What should I bring?
- clothing for: yoga, bush walking, warmth, waterproof jacket if raining
- sturdy shoes for bush walking
- shawl and warm clothing for meditation and evenings
- notebook and pen
- reading material
- mosquito repellant
- toiletries, personal items