Introduction to Meditation
about this course
Meditation in the yoga tradition is a systematic and logical approach to understanding, calming and bringing some control to the mind and thoughts leading to realisation of who we truly are.
On this course you learn the meditation, breathing and relaxation techniques of Raja Yoga to calm and control thoughts, emotions and outer sensations. Through regular practice of meditation techniques anyone can become attuned to their innermost self and live an effective, balanced and peaceful life regardless of outer circumstances.
If you can't attend in person, attend from home. Each class is live-streamed via Zoom. Following the class everyone registered will receive a link to the recording of the class by email, enabling you to do the class anytime. You also receive 12 months access to the course website where you can access the videos, ebook and resources to support your continuing education and home practice.
what you will learn
This course provides a general introduction to traditional yoga and the meditation practices and techniques of Raja Yoga.
what you receive
reasons to meditate
There are many, many benefits to learning and practicing meditation - from simple stress-relief to self-healing. We list a few here:
what to expect
what to wear and bring
Give a gift of peace and healing. Vouchers available for 1 or more people.
Let them choose - valid for any retreat date within 3 years.
Buy online here. You'll receive the voucher immediately.
facts & questions
Why choose Kookaburra Yoga?
- Established, reputable business. Kookaburra Beginners Yoga Courses were developed and are taught by centre director Mandy BeckerKnox. Kookaburra Creek Yoga Centre is well established having been operating for twenty years.
- Quality content. Kookaburra Yoga's 5 Week Courses draw upon the knowledge and wisdom Centre Director, Mandy BeckerKnox, has gained through her personal study and practice of yoga and training she has undertaken in the fields of traditional yoga, Ayurveda, tantra, yin yoga. Course content is a balance of traditional yoga with modern perspectives from contemporary, relevant and increasingly research and evidence-based sources.
- Experienced teachers. Mandy and Robert are both exceptional yoga and meditation instructors with decades of continuing education, self-enquiry and practical teaching experience. They have literally taught thousands of people yoga and to meditate and how to effectively apply the knowledge gained to enhance and transform lives.
- Safety and wellbeing. Kookaburra Yoga's 5 Week Courses are designed for the absolute beginner - the practices are taught sequentially with an emphasis on learning to practice safely in accordance with your body's needs and limitations.
- Value for money. We believe Yoga should be affordable and accessible for all. Kookaburra Yoga's classes and courses are $12 per session which is well below the industry standard price in Western Australia.
- Socially and environmentally responsible. We care for people and the planet. Kookaburra Creek is an eco-conscious venue drawing on its own and natural resources including solar power, rain and spring water and our own organic food gardens.
- Personal development. Kookaburra Yoga provides a wonderful opportunity for personal and professional development. You'll be gently guided to explore limitations and obstacles to achieving your potential and become equipped with the tools, techniques and practical wisdom to evolve and grow.
Do I need experience in Yoga and meditation?
- No, we welcome anyone who is interested in learning the foundation of yoga and meditation.
- The yoga and meditation practices are carefully explained and taught in a caring and respectful manner.
- If you are unable to sit comfortably on the floor we can use cushions, bolsters and chairs to ensure your comfort.
- We welcome everyone, regardless of prior knowledge of or experience in yoga or meditation.
Where is Kookaburra Creek?
- Kookaburra Creek Yoga Centre is located at 210 Carradine Road, Bedfordale WA 6112.
- This is approximately 40 minutes drive from both Perth and Fremantle and only a few minutes drive from the Armadale town centre.
- Kookaburra Creek is not accessible by public transport. The nearest train station is Armadale. This is a 40 minute walk.
- See map below.
WHAT IF I CAN'T ATTEND
- If you have paid for your course in advance online (through our payment gateway) and you need to cancel prior to commencement of the course you will receive a refund of the full $90 fee.
- If you become ill or if there are extenuating circumstances which prevent you from attending the course, we will issue you with a refund of the unused portion of your payment. Just be in touch.
WHAT ARE THE PAYMENT OPTIONS?
- Full payment of course is $90 which is payable online in advance or on arrival.
- You can pay securely using our online booking system. Payment options are credit card, PayPal or direct deposit.
- We have eftpos facilities at the centre so can accept cash and card on arrival at your first class.
Is meditation safe and suitable for me?
- Meditation practices on this course are taught in a safe and controlled manner by an experienced teacher. Practices are positive and beneficial for most people.
- However, sometimes group meditation classes are not suitable for individuals, particularly for those managing a mental illness, who have experienced trauma (both recent and past) or are in the early stages of grief or loss. Please be in touch prior to the class to discuss.
What should I bring?
- comfortable clothes you can sit comfortably in
- socks and shawl (if it's cool)
- your own stool or cushion (optional)
- drinking water bottle
What equipment is provided?
- Kookaburra Creek is fully equipped with yoga mats, bolsters, blankets, cushions and blocks.
- We are very happy for you to use our equipment.
- However if you would prefer to bring your own you are most welcome.