About our yoga classes
traditional yoga, modern approach
Yoga is considered by many to be the oldest existing system of self-care and self-development. Traditional yoga includes clearly defined teachings and practices which address every aspect of ourselves including the body, mind, thoughts, emotions, energy, lifestyle and even soul.
Our classes reflect the traditional approach and interweave modern knowledge and objectives. There are classes to suit all levels of ability and are broadly classified as:
Our current timetable includes the following classes. Please scroll down for brief descriptions of our classes and click through to more detailed class descriptions. While all our classes are a form of Hatha Yoga, depending on the teacher, the lineage and the influences, styles will vary.
Absolute Beginners Yoga
Our absolute beginners level classes are presented as 5 week courses and give you a foundation of knowledge in Hatha Yoga. The courses include carefully designed yoga sequences and practices to ensure safety, steadiness and comfort with an emphasis on stretching, breath-work, mindfulness and relaxation to enhance health and wellbeing. Safe for newcomers and most states of health. Level 1
Beginners Yoga, Relax & Meditate
A 5 week course followed by ongoing classes which give you an experience of the 5 aspects of Hatha Yoga for a truly holistic yoga experience.The 5 points of hatha yoga are yoga postures, breathwork, relaxation, meditation and food/mindful living. Gentle, absolute beginners level sessions with an aim of learning and experiencing the relaxation and healing potential of holistic yoga.
Integral Hatha Yoga
A balance of traditional yoga and methodology with intelligent and safe modern detail. Classes are intuitive and structured to ensure a safe, holistic and meditative yoga experience. Incorporates hatha yoga asanas, pranayama, yoga-relaxation and may also include meditation - to help restore peace, calmness, health and spiritual connection. Includes chanting and spiritual discourse.
Our Hatha Yoga classes include a balance of traditional yoga methods including asana, pranayama, meditation, chanting informed by Sivananda, Yin, Vinyasa and Yogic Mindfulness. Classes are intuitive and intelligently structured to ensure a safe, holistic, energising and meditative experience. You'll leave relaxed and refreshed. For those attending regularly you will gain much knowledge and insight into the traditional yoga systems. Level 2
Slow Flow Hatha Yoga
This class uses traditional yoga postures in a synergy of movement, breath and feeling, to maintain and extend body flexibility, calm and relax the nervous system, and bring concentration and inner focus to maintain balance and equanimity. Level 2
Relaxing in the poses for a longer period of time, with the support of props, without strain or pain will provide physical, mental and emotional relaxation, rejuvenation and peace. As you still the body, the mind will become still and allow you to access your deeper wisdom. Level 2
Hatha Yin Fusion
Enjoy classical asana postures, combining breath and movement geared to get you moving, before dropping the pace, to enjoy the longer more passive postures of yin, that will lead toward a state of receptivity and surrender in the practice of pranayama and meditation which conclude the class.
Yin yoga classes uses postures held in stillness and in a relaxed manner to stretch the joints and ligaments . The class uses pranayama, and meditation to connect with the energy flow systems to heal, restore and maintain the whole body system. Level 2
Intro to Meditation
Taught as a 5 week course to introduce you to the simple yet profound meditation techniques from the yoga systems. These include yogic breathing, nervous system regulation, stress management, concentration methods, mantra meditation, creative visualisation, relaxation. Level 1
Mano Yoga Meditation
A deeply healing meditation practice incorporating pranayama, chanting and extended relaxation. This class is offered at no charge. Level 2.
Learn the foundations of yoga. All our courses are level one and introduce you to the foundations of a safe, rewarding practice.
Continuing classes which can accommodate all levels of ability. Beginners are always welcome.
Suitable for those who have some experience with practices and concepts of yoga. Includes some more advanced poses.
what to expect
- Please arrive early to register, relax and unwind before the class.
- If there is a class on prior please wait quietly outside on the verandah.
- Kookaburra Creek Yoga Centre is a 10 acre bush property 2 km from Armadale. The entrance drive and carpark is gravel so please wear sturdy shoes. At night bring a torch as this is a residential area and carpark is not floodlit.
- We request that you always reverse park where possible and take up as little space as possible. The top carpark closest to the studio is available for parking and has disabled access.
- Classes include a short introductory talk, mindfulness meditation, yoga breathing practices, warm up practices, yoga sequences, relaxation.
- If you arrive late come in quietly and sit at the back.
facts and questions
Why choose Kookaburra Yoga?
- Established, reputable business. Kookaburra Beginners Yoga Courses were developed and are taught by centre director Mandy BeckerKnox. Kookaburra Creek Yoga Centre is well established having been operating for twenty years.
- Quality content. Kookaburra Yoga's 5 Week Courses draw upon the knowledge and wisdom Centre Director, Mandy BeckerKnox, has gained through her personal study and practice of yoga and training she has undertaken in the fields of traditional yoga, Ayurveda, tantra, yin yoga. Course content is a balance of traditional yoga with modern perspectives from contemporary, relevant and increasingly research and evidence-based sources.
- Experienced teachers. Mandy and Robert are both exceptional yoga and meditation instructors with decades of continuing education, self-enquiry and practical teaching experience. They have literally taught thousands of people yoga and to meditate and how to effectively apply the knowledge gained to enhance and transform lives.
- Safety and wellbeing. Kookaburra Yoga's 5 Week Courses are designed for the absolute beginner - the practices are taught sequentially with an emphasis on learning to practice safely in accordance with your body's needs and limitations.
- Value for money. We believe Yoga should be affordable and accessible for all. Kookaburra Yoga's classes and courses are $12 per session which is well below the industry standard price in Western Australia.
- Socially and environmentally responsible. We care for people and the planet. Kookaburra Creek is an eco-conscious venue drawing on its own and natural resources including solar power, rain and spring water and our own organic food gardens.
- Personal development. Kookaburra Yoga provides a wonderful opportunity for personal and professional development. You'll be gently guided to explore limitations and obstacles to achieving your potential and become equipped with the tools, techniques and practical wisdom to evolve and grow.
Do I need experience in Yoga?
- No, we welcome anyone who is interested in learning and practicing yoga and meditation.
- Please choose a 'level' in accordance with your experience and ability.
- The yoga and meditation practices are carefully explained and taught in a caring and respectful manner.
- All of the practices taught can be adapted to suit the needs of each participant.
- If you have any injuries, are pregnant or have medical conditions or concerns please be in touch prior to attending as these may preclude you from attending.
Where is Kookaburra Creek?
- Kookaburra Creek Yoga Centre is located at 210 Carradine Road, Bedfordale WA 6112.
- This is approximately 40 minutes drive from both Perth and Fremantle and only a few minutes drive from the Armadale town centre.
- Kookaburra Creek is not accessible by public transport. The nearest train station is Armadale. This is a 40 minute walk.
- See map below.
What if I Need to cancel or miss a class?
- Classes at Kookaburra Creek are offered on a casual basis, meaning that you do not to book, commit to attending every week and can pay as you come.
WHAT ARE THE PAYMENT OPTIONS?
- Classes cost $15 each and payable in cash or eftpos.
- Memberships and class passes available reducing class costs
- If you are experiencing financial difficulty please be in touch with us directly as we can offer free places to those in need.
WHAT If I have an injury or am pregnant?
- If you have an injury or health conditions which may be affected by yoga, please be sure to inform your teacher in advance of the class.
- If you have an acute injury, yoga may not be suitable so please be in touch with use before attending the centre.
- If you are pregnant, please be in touch with us before attending the centre as we generally don't accept new students who are pregnant if they have no prior experience of yoga in our general classes.
- Please enquire about pre-natal classes.
What should I wear and bring?
- No need to bring a mat or equipment. We provide all the equipment you will need, including yoga mats, blankets, bolsters and cushions. Chairs available if needed.
- We don't wear shoes during yoga so please leave shoes outside and also please to endeavour to have clean feet.
- We'll be moving, stretching, sitting and lying down so wear comfortable clothes.
- Bring your own non-breakable drinking water bottle.
- Please don't interrupt other students. If you bring your mobile have it on silent mode.
What equipment is provided?
- Kookaburra Creek is fully equipped with yoga mats, bolsters, blankets, cushions and blocks.
- We are very happy for you to use our equipment.
- However if you would prefer to bring your own you are most welcome.